- 1 red onion finely sliced
- 1 tsp mustard seed
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tsp ginger grated
- 2 tomatoes very large, ripe and roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 red chilli seeds removed, finely chopped
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 400 g chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 250 g spinach washed
- lemon juice squeeze of
- 3 tbsp non-dairy yoghurt plus extra to serve
- cilantro handful of, roughly chopped, also known as coriander
- Dry fry the sliced onion with a pinch of salt in a large heavy-based saucepan over a medium heat until softened and starting to colour. Add a splash of water if the onions start to catch.
- Add the mustard seeds and cook for a further two minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger, tomato, tomato paste, chilli, garam masala and chickpeas and cook for a further 2 minutes, stirring.
- Add 3 tbsp water and cook for another two minutes. The consistency should be quite thick.
- Stir in the spinach, then cover and leave for another 4 minutes to wilt.
- Uncover, add a squeeze of lemon juice and stir everything together.
- Take off the heat then stir through the yogurt.
- Serve with naan bread, plain rice (microwave rice can be used here) and top with more yogurt and cilantro.
Note: If freezing add the yoghurt after reheating.
Please find an OMS recipe for naan bread below.
You can find more of Gillian's recipes here on Instagram.