- 1 onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots finely chopped
- 150 g celery finely chopped
- brown sugar pinch of
- 50 g tomato puree
- 2 tsp mixed herbs such as basil, oregano
- 1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 200 g red lentils
- 500 ml tomato passata
- 100 ml red wine
- lemon juice dash of
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- courgette if serving with courgetti
- Fry your onions and garlic in a small amount of water, adding more if the pan gets to dry and they begin to stick.
- Once they are soft, add the carrots, celery and lentils. Stir until the carrots and celery soften.
- Then add all the remaining ingredients and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for about 45 minutes, until it is lovely and thick.
- Taste and add more seasoning if required.
- Serve on top of courgetti or whole meal pasta.