- 2 potatoes (maris piper are good)
- 1 onion medium
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 200 g chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard (with added water)
- drizzle extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
1. Prep: Peel and cut the potatoes into small, even cubes (approximately 1 inch/ 2cm). Thinly slice the onion.
2. Heat a non-stick pan on a medium heat - once the pan is hot add cumin seeds, fenugreek, mustard seeds and chili flakes with a small amount of water to loosen and make a paste. Heat for 30 seconds.
2. Add sliced onions and saute with a little bit of water (teaspoon or so) with the spices. Cook for about 5-6 mins or until onions look transparent.
3. Add the potatoes and the tinned tomatoes, and then turmeric and chili powder. Stir thoroughly
4. Cook for 30 mins on a medium heat, stiring regularly to make sure potatoes are coated.
5. Add mustard (which has been watered down), salt and sugar and stir. Cook for 5 mins with pan uncovered, if it dries out, add a bit of water to loosen.
6. Add olive oil after cooking to add a silky texture (optional)
You can serve with another curry or dhal as a side dish, with brown rice or chapatis. Serves two as a main, or 4 as a side.
Adapted from a recipe from Mowgli Street Food.