If you want, prick the top of the cake/s and drizzle the honey or whiskey over the top while it's still hot
Irish Whiskey Cake
This cake makes a delicious sweet treat as an afternoon pick me up.
Recipe kindly sent in from Jessica van Esch
Ingredients List for people
- Mix the sultanas or glace and dried fruit, sugar, whiskey and tea in a large bowl and set aside to soak for at least 24 hours, until all the liquid has been absorbed into fruit.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees (350 F). Grease a 20 cm cake tin, or line a muffin tin with paper cases.
- Stir the egg whites, then the flour, into the fruit mixture and beat thoroughly with a wooden spoon until well mixed
- Pour into prepared tin and bake the cake for 1 1/2 hours or the cupcakes for 40 minutes. The cake/s are ready when a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to stand for five minutes, then remove from the tin and place on a wire rack.
- To make the glaze, whisk the icing sugar and orange juice in a small bowl until smooth, then brush on top of the cake/s while still warm