You can serve this sauce with pasta or make into a shepherds pie by topping with 500g peeled, cooked and mashed potatoes and baking for 30 minutes at 180 degrees C.
Leek and lentil bolognese sauce with seed sprinkle
This is a great 'mushroom-free' ragu that works well with pasta or in a shepherd-less pie!
Thank you to Rachel for sending in the recipe.
Ingredients List for people
- 350 g leeks washed and finely sliced
- 1 garlic cloves peeled and crushed
- 250 g carrot peeled and diced
- 200 g red lentils
- 1 cup red wine
- 800 g chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp oregano
- 3 bay leaves
- 70 g sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Heat a heavy bottomed pan over a medium heat, add the leeks and cover and cook for about 10 minutes until softened and starting to colour. Keep stirring every few minutes.
- There should be enough moisture in the leeks, but if they start to stick add a tablespoon of boiling water from the kettle.
- Then add the carrot, garlic and lentils.
- Continue to cook for a couple of minutes uncovered, stirring and adding a little of the wine if it starts to stick.
- Add the rest of the wine, diced tomatoes and tomato paste.
- Use the water to rinse out the tomato cans and add that to the pot as well.
- Add the vinegar, sugar, oregano and bay leaves.
- Stir and cover. Leave to simmer over a low heat for about 30 minutes. If it gets too dry add a little more hot water.
- Remove the bay leaves. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- To make the seed sprinkle, grind the sunflower seeds with nutritional yeast and 1/2 tsp salt in a mini food processor. Be careful to not blend for too long otherwise you'll have sunflower seed butter!