- 2 onions peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon ground
- 1-2 teaspoons chili powder
- 200 grams lentils rinsed and drained
- 2 tins red kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 2 tins black beans rinsed and drained
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 500 ml vegetable stock or water (Vecon vegetable stock contains no palm oil)
- sea salt
- fresh coriander
- Water sauté* the onions in a large heavy-based pan over a medium heat until softened.
- Add garlic and sauté for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the spices, dried herbs and continue to sauté for 2 minutes adding a splash of water if needed.
- Stir in the tomato puree and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Stir in the lentils, beans and chopped tomatoes, then add the stock.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce to a low heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until thickened and reduced, stirring every 15 minutes. Add some water if it is a bit dry.
- Add salt if required to taste.
- Add chopped coriander leaves and serve with either rice, cauliflower rice, jacket potato or mashed potato.
*Put a skillet/pan with a small amount of water or vegetable stock on a medium heat and let the pan heat for a short while until the water starts to steam. Begin to sauté.
Recipe by Karen