- Process the dates in a food processor until it has a dough-like consistency.
- Place the dates, liquid sweetener, almond butter and rolled oats in a large bowl. Mix well to combine the ingredients.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix again to combine.
- Line a 20cm x 20cm baking tray or dish with parchment paper or plastic wrap.
- Place the mixture into the prepared dish and press down firmly to even out. This task may be made a bit easier if you wet your hands slightly beforehand.
- Cover the pan with plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator for an hour or so to harden (alternatively, place the contents in the freezer for 15 minutes if you are in a hurry to taste them).
- Once the granola bars are quite firm to the touch, remove them from the baking dish and cut into serving sized portions.
- You can enjoy the granola bars right away, or dehydrate them for 12 hours at 48° C to give the outside a nice sheen and slightly different texture. Alternatively, you can also bake them in a 140° C oven for 10-15 minutes, but this would destroy the raw properties. If you want to enjoy them raw, then store in an airtight container or wrap individually and store in the freezer.
Granola bars are, in many ways, the perfect snack food. They are packed full of nutrients and are an important source of carbohydrates to boost your energy reserves.
Unfortunately, many store-bought granola bars are filled with fats and other mysterious ingredients to promote long shelf lives.
The recipe itself is quite simple to prepare and it uses only natural and healthy ingredients. You can also make the entire recipe gluten-free if that is important to you by making sure you use certified gluten-free oats.