- 400 g spaghetti You could also use wholewheat or spelt spaghetti, or gluten-free
- 3 pieces cloves
- 2 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 2 pieces bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 tsp basil (dried)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 cube vegetable stock cubes
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 125 g walnuts (finely chopped)
- 125 g mushrooms (shiitake or porcini preferably)
- 1 chopped tomatoes 400g can
- Roast walnuts on a baking paper the oven for 8-10 minutes (200 C / 390 F).
- Finely chop the onion, garlic, walnuts and mushrooms - I used a food processor to get the pieces really small for a mince-like texture.
- 'Fry' mushrooms, garlic and onions - either dry fry in a nonstick pan or in a tiny amount of water/stock.
- Add tinned tomatoes (or you could use fresh tomatoes), walnuts and tomato puree.
- Add black pepper, salt, basil, oregano, balsamic vinegar, cloves, bay leaf and vegetable stock cube (chili flakes optional).
- Simmer for 40 mins - 1 hour on a low heat (or you can use a slow cooker).
- Cook spaghetti and serve with the bolognese!
The walnuts add texture, I use shiitake mushrooms as they have a more 'umami' meaty flavour.
You could add kidney beans and spices to make a chili, eat it in tacos, or you could use it to make a vegan lasagne.