- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Scrub the beets well and toss them with the vegetable stock, lemon juice and the thyme sprigs in a medium-sized bowl.
- Wrap the beets in aluminum foil and form a kind of tent so they have some room to steam in their own juices within the tin foil. Tighten the edges to seal the foil.
- Place the foil tent on a baking pan and cook for 45 to 90 minutes (depending on size of beets). The beets are done when they are fork-tender.
- Allow the beets to cool in the bag. This will help the skins loosen up for peeling (optional).
- If skinning red beets, it is a good idea to wear gloves to avoid staining. Try not to peel off skins under water – you will lose much of the flavor gained from the slow cooking process.
- To finish the dish, cut the beets into wedges, toss with sherry vinegar, sea salt, freshly–ground pepper and minced chives.
- Serve as a side dish or as the base to a salad.