No-oil Roasted Beets
Here's a great way to slow-roast root vegetables to lock in the flavor and caramelize the natural sweetness. Once cooled and peeled, these beets are great additions to salads or side dishes
Ingredients List for people
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Scrub the beets well and toss them with the vegetable stock, lemon juice and the thyme sprigs in a medium-sized bowl.
- Wrap the beets in aluminum foil and form a kind of tent so they have some room to steam in their own juices within the tin foil. Tighten the edges to seal the foil.
- Place the foil tent on a baking pan and cook for 45 to 90 minutes (depending on size of beets). The beets are done when they are fork-tender.
- Allow the beets to cool in the bag. This will help the skins loosen up for peeling (optional).
- If skinning red beets, it is a good idea to wear gloves to avoid staining. Try not to peel off skins under water – you will lose much of the flavor gained from the slow cooking process.
- To finish the dish, cut the beets into wedges, toss with sherry vinegar, sea salt, freshly–ground pepper and minced chives.
- Serve as a side dish or as the base to a salad.