- 2 cups flour
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tsp baking powder ( or 1 tps of baking powder + 1 tsp of baking soda)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 130 g cane sugar - you could even use less sugar (the original recipe says 200g)
- 1 1/2 cups orange juice - and more for the glazing
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp orange zest - and extra to decorate the muffins. (I use organic oranges, regular ones are treated with all kinds of chemicals)
- powdered sugar -for the glazing
- beetroot juice -for the glazing
- ground tumeric -for the glazing
- Cointreau -for the glazing
- Preheat the oven at 180°C (356° Fahrenheit).
- Mix flour, cornstarch, vanilla extract, baking powder or baking powder + baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl mix sugar, orange juice, extra virgin olive oil and orange zest until the sugar is dissolved. You can add a splash of cointreau as well, after all it is King’s day ;)
- Combine the two mixtures to a smooth batter. Pour the batter in cupcake pans (I use silicon ones with paper cups).
- Bake for about 20-30 minutes, and let them cool completely before taking them out of the pans or they might collapse.
For the glazing (without it they taste great too, if you want less sugar...)
- I have no exact recipe, but mix powdered sugar with orange juice, and add tumeric, beetroot juice and cointreau until it has the right colour and taste.
- Be careful not to use too much beetroot or tumeric powder, it will negatively influence the taste. The glazing should not to be too liquid or it will not harden, you need quite a lot of sugar to get the right consistency.
- Put some zest on top for the finishing touch!
The cake recipe comes from www.vegetus.nl, adapted to OMS and using less sugar. The glazing I made up myself. It is meant to make a bundt cake but I made muffins instead, it will make about 11 of them. They did not turn out as orange as I hoped but they taste great and fluffy! I made them in advance and put them in the freezer, the glazing I added after defrosting.
Enjoy, may Dutch “gezelligheid” brighten your day!
You will find these muffins among other OMS recipes and inspiration on my OMS page: www.facebook.com/omsleefstijl