- Preheat the oven to 180C/160 Fan/350 F.
- If using broccoli, divide the head into small florets. Peel and dice the stalk. If using tender stem broccoli, divide into small pieces. Place in a roasting tin with the garlic. Sprinkle over the chili flakes, a little salt and spray or drizzle with a little olive oil. Roast for 10 minutes, until the broccoli is just starting to brown, then remove from the oven.
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and cook the pasta according to the instructions on the packet (10-12 minutes). Before draining, save a little of the cooking water in a jug/cup.
- When the broccoli is cooked, stir through the lemon zest and juice, then add the drained pasta and mix to combine, using a little of the pasta water if required.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon into 4 warm pasta bowls
- Sprinkle with more chili flakes and drizzle with if you a little more olive oil if liked.
You could use other pasta shapes, e.g. rigatoni or penne if you can’t find orecchiette.
To make a pescatarian version of this dish, you can boost the flavor by adding some anchovies which are rich in Omega-3 fatty acids. (Make sure you buy the ones in olive oil).
Whilst the broccoli and pasta are cooking, take 6 anchovy fillets from a tin/jar and pat them with kitchen paper to remove the oil. Grind them into a paste with a pestle and mortar. Add the lemon zest and lemon juice and mix until smooth, before adding to the broccoli pan in step 4.