- 1 kg / 2 lb 5 oz vine tomatoes , ripe
- 1 tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 small red onion , finely sliced
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 250 g / 9 oz stale wholemeal bread , torn into bite-size pieces
- juice of a small lemon
- 90 ml / 3 fl oz flaxseed oil , cold pressed
- 1 small garlic clove , crushed
- salt and pepper
- 2 x 400g / 14 oz cannellini beans , or butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 16 black olives
- large handful basil leaves , roughly torn
- Roughly chop the tomatoes, and put into a large serving bowl. Sprinkle with sugar and salt, and set aside for 20-30 minutes to draw out the juices.
- In a separate bowl, mix the onion with the vinegar and set aside to soften.
- Mix the bread pieces into the tomatoes, so that they start to absorb the tomato juices.
- Meanwhile add the lemon juice, oil, and crushed garlic to the onions, and whisk to make a dressing. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the beans, olives and dressing to the bread and tomatoes and mix well to combine.
- Finally, scatter over the torn basil leaves and serve.
This recipe can serve 4 to 6 people.