- 1.25 cup basmati rice
- 570 ml boiling water
- 25 g cashew nuts (unsalted)
- 25 g pistachios (shelled)
- 25 g pine nuts (or almonds)
- 0.75 teaspoon cardamom pods (remove the seeds)
- 0.5 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1.5 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 2.5 .5cm piece cinnamon (or cassia bark stick)
- 1 medium bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt (use sea salt such as Himalayan salt)
- Using a mortar and pestle, crush cardamom, coriander and cumin seeds together.
- Warm frying pan over medium heat; add crushed spices and dry roast them for a minute or so until fragrant.
- Add the onion and nuts and dry fry until they are lightly tinged brown and the onion is softened.
- Stir in the rice (no need to wash) and move the grains around to blend, pour in 570ml boiling water.
- Add the cinnamon stick, salt and bay leaf. Stir once, put the lid on and turn the heat down to its lowest setting.
- Cook the rice for 15 minutes.
- Take the pan off the heat, leave lid on for another five minutes.
- Use a fork to fluff up the rice before serving.
Absorption method is the healthiest way to cook rice. It ensures all the goodies aren’t boiled away.
You can add a dash of extra-virgin olive oil later before serving.