- Pre-heat the oven to 180C
- In a large saucepan, pour in the water and whisk in onion powder, nutritional yeast, herbs or any other flavouring of your choice. Bring the water or vegetable stock to a boil.
- Slowly pour the polenta in a steady stream into the water whilst stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Turn the heat down and cook for about 6 minutes stirring continuously.
- Pour the polenta into a square or rectangular tin/dish and smooth the surface with the back of a spoon.
- Leave the polenta to cool and set for about an hour.
- Turn out the block of polenta onto a cutting board and cut into chip/fry shapes.
- Place the ‘chips/fries’ onto a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 20 minutes and flip over and cook for a further 10 minutes until golden.
- Remove from the oven and serve with ketchup.
These polenta fries are amazing – crispy on the outside and soft and fluffy on the inside. They are not quite as good as regular fries/chips but considering they are baked in the oven and no oil has been used whatsoever - they are a fantastic alternative! Vegan and gluten-free
Recipe by Karen Hart