- Pre-heat the oven to 180 C and line a large ovenproof baking dish/tin with baking parchment.
- Peel and cut the onion into quarters. Peel, deseed and chop the pumpkin into large chunks. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Roast in the oven for 25 minutes or until soft and starting to brown a little around the edges.
- Place the pumpkin and onion in a high-speed blender and add the nutritional yeast, and cashew milk. Blend until you have a silky smooth sauce. Adjust seasoning to your liking with salt/pepper.
- Remove the baking parchment from the baking dish/tin and add the macaroni. Pour over the sauce and stir so that all the pasta is well coated.
- Cover tightly with foil, and place back in the oven for 25 minutes, or until the pasta is cooked through but is still “al dente’.
- Serve immediately with a crisp green salad on the side.
Options and Extras
- This recipe, whilst delicious as it is, can easily be tweaked with additional ingredients and flavors according to your liking and what you have on hand.
- Try adding a crushed clove of garlic/Dijon mustard/chopped fresh sage/chopped fresh thyme/cayenne pepper to the sauce.
- You could also remove the foil for the last few minutes of cooking and top with a handful of pine nuts/pumpkin seeds/breadcrumbs, putting it back in the oven until it starts to brown.
- Sprinkle the finished dish with chopped fresh parsley.