- Bring a pan of water to the boil and add the lentils and salt.
- A froth will appear on the surface of the water which you can remove using a spoon. Reduce the heat and leave to simmer for 10 minutes. The lentils are cooked when they are soft. Remove from heat when they are cooked.
- Heat a frying pan and add the dried chili, bay leaf and cumin seeds.
- When the seeds sizzle, add the onion and garlic and a little amount of water, and cook until the onion starts to go brown.
- Reduce the heat and add the tomatoes, ginger, tumeric, fenugreek and the chopped chili.
- Let all the ingredients cook down and take on flavor for about 10 minutes until they create a thick paste.
- Add a ladle full of lentils to the paste and stir together.
- Then empty all the contents back into the lentils and stir. Your dhal should have the consistency of a thick soup.
- Stir in the garam masala and serve with OMS Friendly chapatis (recipe below)
This dhal can be made in batch and frozen. Defrost on a stove top by adding a little boiling water.
This recipe was adapted from: https://www.harighotra.co.uk/