Sicilian Aubergine Stew
This traditional Italian dish is known as Caponata and can be eaten as a warm vegetable side with a grain or as a cold antipasto.
Ingredients List for people
- Cut the eggplant into large chunks. Peel and finely chop the onion, then peel and finely slice the garlic. Pick and chop the parsley leaves and finely chop the stalks.
- Rinse, soak and drain the capers and remove the olive stones. Roughly chop the tomatoes.
- In a large hot pan, pour in a couple lugs of hot stock, add your eggplant, oregano and season with salt and pepper. Cook on a high heat for about 4-5 minutes.
- When the eggplant is nice and golden, add the onion, garlic and parsley stalks and continue cooking for another couple of minutes. Add more stock if needed.
- Throw in the capers, olives and a drizzle of the herb vinegar. When all the vinegar has evaporated, add the tomatoes and simmer for around 15 minutes or until tender.
- Taste before serving and season if you need to. Drizzle with more herb vinegar or flaxseed oil.