- 1 red onion sliced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 eggplant cut into 1.5cm pieces
- 3 zucchini cut into 2cm pieces
- 3 pepper cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 6 tomato large and ripe, roughly chopped
- basil bunch of, roughly chopped
- fresh thyme few sprigs
- 400 g chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- Sauté the onion and garlic in a hot pan with a little water, adding more if it sticks, until the onion is translucent.
- Turn the heat up and then add the eggplant, adding more water and cook for 5 minutes.
- Then stir in the zucchini and peppers and cook for a further 5 minutes. Continue adding water when needed.
- Add the tomato puree, fresh tomatoes, herbs, chopped tomatoes, vinegar, sugar and 1 tsp salt and bring to the boil.
- Transfer the mixture into your slow cooker and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until everything is soft and the sauce has thickened.
- Season and scatter over some more basil.
- Serve with fresh bread or rice.