- 1 onion (large) finely sliced
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp black onion seeds
- 1.5 tsp turmeric
- 5 cm fresh root ginger grated
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 sweet potatoes (medium) cut into 2 cm / 3/4 in cubes
- 1 aubergine (large) cut into 2 cm / 3/4 in cubes
- 2x 400 g chopped tomatoes
- 400 g canned chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 coriander bunch
- salt and pepper to taste
- Sauté the onion gently in a large non-stick pan until softened (approx. 10 mins) using a little water to stop it from sticking.
- Add the garam masala, black onion seeds, turmeric, ginger and garlic and continue to sauté for one minute.
- Add the sweet potato and aubergine and cook for 5 minutes, stirring to prevent the vegetables from sticking. You can always add a little more water if required.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, plus half a can of water, bring to the boil, then reduce and simmer for 15 - 20 minutes until the vegetable pieces are cooked through but still firm.
- Add the drained chickpeas and chopped coriander, taste and adjust the seasoning to your liking with salt and black pepper. Serve with rice or naan.
- Ginger gives the curry warmth, but if you like your food spicy feel free to add finely chopped chilli or chilli flakes to taste.
- To freeze, cool and then divide into portions in freezer bags or containers. Defrost overnight in the fridge and reheat in a pan until piping hot. This dish will keep up to 3 months in the freezer.