- 2 sweet potato cut into 1.5 cm cubes
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and minced
- 5cm piece fresh root ginger finely chopped
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp mustard seed
- 200 g yellow split peas soak in cold water for 1 hour
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 400 ml oat milk
- 2 spinach handfuls of
- 1 lemon grated zest of
- cilantro a bunch of, chopped, also known as coriander
- 200 g jasmine rice
- 1/2 mango chopped
- 150 ml water
- Preheat your oven to 180 C / 350 F
- Place your sweet potato cubes on a baking tray and add the fennel seeds, ground cumin and salt and pepper.
- Roast in the oven for about 20 minutes until soft and a little crispy around the edges.
- In a large saucepan, sauté your garlic, onion and ginger over a low heat with a dash of water until everything is soft.
- Add all your spices to the onion mix, ground coriander, cinnamon, turmeric and mustard seeds.
- Stir everything until well coated for 5 minutes.
- Add your split peas and vegetable stock to the pan and bring to a light simmer. Then reduce the heat and cook for 45 minutes.
- Add the oat milk and then keep reducing down for 15 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the spinach and lemon zest.
- Add the sweet potato and half the chopped coriander.
- For the rice, add 150ml of water to a pan with your jasmine rice. Stir once. Bring to to a light simmer and check it periodically but don't stir regularly or your rice will be starchy.
- After about 15 minutes, your rice should be light and fluffy.
- Remove from heat and add chopped mango and remaining coriander.