- Press the liquid out of the firm tofu with either a tofu press (eg Tofuture) or by wrapping in kitchen roll and ‘squashing’ under a few heavy recipe books for at least half an hour before you are ready to cook (you can also do this earlier in the day to prep for later on).
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Once pressed, add the tofu to a large bowl and mash with a fork, or your finger, into small, evenly crumbled pieces.
- Add all the other ingredients and mix well to combine, then split the mixture into 4 even-sized portions and use your hands to form 4 burger patties just over an inch thick.
- Place on a baking tray lined with baking parchment. Spritz with a fine spray of olive oil on both sides. If you don’t have an oil spritzer, put a tablespoon of olive oil into a bowl and lightly brush each burger with the oil using a pastry brush.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes, then flip and bake the other side up for another 10 minutes or until the burgers are nice and firm.
- If you want to BBQ them, then skip the brush of olive oil. Flip carefully on the BBQ, or consider using a grill mat.
- Delicious served in a bun/GF bun with kimchi, lettuce & tomato or with sweet potato wedges and a crispy salad. Add some extra siracha to a few dollops of soy yoghurt as extra sauce / topping.
Make sure to use an MSG-free sriracha.
Watch back Sam's 'Easy Overcoming MS and family-friendly foods' webinar here.