- 4 tbsp cacao / cocoa powder Check that it doesn’t contain milk and is not a mix
- 3 tbsp maple syrup / agave
- 6-10 tbsp almond milk / water
- 3 bananas Peeled and frozen in a zip lock bag for at least 24 hours
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- handful strawberries
- banana - one per banana split, cut lengthways
- chopped nuts of choice
- handful cherries
- Make the chocolate sauce by placing the cocoa powder into a small jug.
- Add the maple syrup or agave and mix together until it forms a thick paste.
- Gradually add the milk or water until you reach a syrupy consistency.
Vanilla banana ice cream:
- Place the frozen banana slices in a food processor and blend until the bananas look crumbly.
- Stop blending at this stage and scrape down with a spatula.
- Add the vanilla essence and continue blending until light and creamy.
Assembling the banana split:
- Place three scoops of the ice-cream onto a plate or dish.
- Cut a banana lengthwise and squish the two halves against the ice-cream
- Sprinkle on the strawberries.
- Spoon over the chocolate sauce.
- Spoon over the cashew cream.
- Sprinkle the nuts over the top.
- Decorate with the cherries.
Share this delicious banana split with your loved one or devour it all by yourself.
NB: You will need bananas that have been frozen 24 hours in advance.
You will need:
- Chocolate sauce – see recipe above
- 2-4 scoops of vanilla banana ice cream – see recipe above
- Cashew cream – see recipe here
You can be creative and add different flavors to your ice cream e.g. rose water, mint or orange oil.
Use different fruits that are in season – raspberries, blueberries, etc.
You could use maple syrup instead of chocolate sauce – the combinations are endless.
By Karen Hart