- Mashed potatoes − can make mash with a mix of potato and sweet potato or parsnip. When making mashed potatoes mixture, use soy milk and a little olive oil.
- Mixed herbs − as an alternative to bay leaf, use rosemary, thyme, parsley (fresh is best but dried will do – reduce amount to about one tablespoon for dried).
- Mixed vegetables − e.g. celery or fennel, parsnip, carrot, onion.
- A 'glug' of wine - white or red, is optional.
Vegan Shepherd's Pie
This is a super winter 'comfort food' recipe and it’s even better warmed up the next day!
Recipe kindly sent in by Janet.
Ingredients List for people
- 1 cups vegetable stock (a vegetarian mix, made up with water)
- 1.5 cups mixed vegetables (finely diced)
- 0.5 can chickpeas (rinse the chickpeas in a sieve)
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoon plain flour
- 1.5 tsp Worcestershire sauce or vegan alternative such as tamari and vinegar to make this recipe vegan
- 100-200 ml vegetable stock (see note below)
- 0.5 cup mixed herbs (e.g. bay leaf)
- 1 pinch salt and pepper (as desired for seasoning)
- 3 cups mashed potatoes (for topping. Adjust quantity to taste)
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (for topping. Optional)
- Preheat oven to 180ºC /350ºF.
- In a non-stick fry pan, saute diced mixed vegetables and mixed herbs in a few spoons of stock until soft. Sprinkle in plain flour and cook for one minute – make sure it’s lump free. Add can Sanitarium Country Hotpot, chickpeas, Worcestershire Sauce, tomato paste, salt and pepper, and wine.
- Use more stock as required to moisten mix in order to allow it to simmer. Simmer for approx 10 minutes, stirring regularly, to allow flavours to mix and develop, and reduce moisture content to preferred consistency.
- Place vegetable mix in an oven-proof dish and top with mashed potatoes. Use a fork to 'smooth' top of potato and make an attractive design. Sprinkle a just a little cayenne pepper on top of potato mix too if desired.
- Bake in oven for approx 40 minutes until top of potato mash is golden and vegetable mix is bubbling. It’s a good idea to place oven-proof dish on an oven tray so drips don’t fall into oven.
- Serve with green vegetables.