- 600 ml vegetable stock
- 1 red onion finely sliced
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 2.5 cm fresh ginger finely grated
- 1 cauliflower cut into small florets
- 1/2 butternut squash peeled, deseeded and cut into 2.5 cm/ 1 in pieces
- 1 aubergine (medium size), cut into 2.5 cm / 1 in cubes
- 75 g dates roughly chopped
- 400 g chopped tomatoes
- 1-2 tsp harissa paste
- 400 g canned chickpeas drained
- rind from 1 preserved lemon, finely sliced
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- small bunch of parsley roughly chopped
- small bunch of fresh coriander roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp flaked almonds
- In a large, non-stick pan gently sauté the onion in a little of the stock until soft. Add the ground spices, garlic and ginger and a little more stock and continue to sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Stir in the cauliflower, butternut squash, aubergine and dates, the rest of the stock, the chopped tomatoes and the harissa paste. Bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the chickpeas and lemon rind. Simmer uncovered for a further 5 minutes. Stir through the white wine vinegar.
- Sprinkle over the fresh herbs and flaked almonds.
- The preserved lemon can be substituted with the finely grated rind of a fresh lemon.
- Serve with wholewheat couscous or brown rice.
- To freeze, complete the recipe to the end of step 3. Cool and transfer to a freezer proof container/containers. Defrost in the fridge and reheat in a pan, adding more stock if required. Sprinkle over the fresh herbs and flaked almonds before serving.