- Separate the broccoli florets from the stalk, and divide them into small pieces. Peel the stalk and chop into small dice.
- Drain and rinse the lentils if using canned.
- Roughly chop the walnut pieces
- Cut the tofu into 1 cm / 1/2 in cubes.
- Add water to a medium saucepan to about 5 cm/ 2 in depth and bring to a simmer. Add a little salt.
- Add the diced broccoli stalk to the simmering water. Place the broccoli florets into a steamer and cook covered over the top, until the florets and diced stalk are just cooked about 4-5 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat a good quality non-stick frying pan, over a medium-high heat and sauté the tofu pieces until just starting to brown.
- When the broccoli is cooked drain, and return to the pan. On a low heat, add the lentils to the pan, along with the balsamic vinegar and stir gently until everything is warmed through.
- Off the heat stir through the walnut pieces and 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil or flax seed oil.
- Season with salt and pepper to your liking.
- Serve on warmed plates.
If you would like to cook your own lentils, start with 200 g uncooked lentils which should give you approximately 500 g cooked weight. Cook the lentils according to the pack instructions.
You will need a medium-sized saucepan with a steamer and lid to sit on the top of it, and a good quality non-stick frying pan.