Mexican Veggie Chilli
This chilli makes an excellent addition to a Mexican feast! Serve with guacamole, salsa and fresh salad.
Scroll down for more tex-mex inspired recipes to serve alongside the chilli.
Thanks to Rowan for sending in this recipe.
Ingredients List for people
- 3 red pepper
- 1 sweet potato
- mushrooms 5-8 depending on size
- 1 courgette
- 1 onion
- 200 g red lentils
- 1 red kidney beans can
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 chopped tomatoes can
- 1 tomato passata tin
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 2 tbsp ground coriander
- 1-2 tsp chili powder
- dried porcini mushrooms small handful, any mushroom type
- vegetable stock cube
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- fresh coriander
- soy yogurt
- Boil the lentils with stock and dried mushrooms
- In a separate pot, fry the onions, peppers and sweet potato/squash with the spices and garlic in a little water for 4-5 minutes
- Add water, stock and dried mushrooms to cover the top of the vegetables and leave to simmer until soft
- Add tomatoes and passata, courgette and mushrooms, lentils and kidney beans and leave to cook down with the lid off
- If the chilli doesn’t taste how you want it to, now is your last opportunity to add more spices!
- Meanwhile, cook the rice until just soft. Leave to steam with the lid on for 10 minutes. Drain if you need to, then add a generous squeeze of lemon juice, pepper and a small handful chopped coriander and stir through.
- Sprinkle more fresh coriander and serve with guacamole, yogurt and salsa