- Line a 20cm ring pan with cooking paper. Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Combine first measures of oil and sugar with the walnuts.
- Drain the apricots (reserve ½ cup water for the cake).
- Lay the apricots cut side up in the bottom of the cake tin.
- Sprinkle the walnut mixture over the top.
- Combine the second measures of oil and sugar with the essence and egg whites.
- Beat for two minutes.
- Stir in half the sifted flour with half the water, then stir in the remaining flour and water.
- Pour the batter into the cake tin.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Stand the cake in the tin for 15 minutes before turning out onto a cake rack to cool.
This recipe was kindly supplied by Kaye.